Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Ignition That Never Let Go

Because of the ridiculous parking regulations that my place of employment has on its employees, going out to lunch is difficult. One day, my craving for Jersey Mike's was too much to handle. I'll openly admit my addiction to this place. The fresh bread, the freshly sliced meat and cheese, great ingredients...I can't resist! That one fateful day, I asked one of my favorite professors to see if I could borrow his car for my quick fix. He agreed and my co-worker joined me. We escaped our offices and headed to the famed sub location. I pull into the parking spot, put the car into park and turn off the vehicle. I attempt to pull the key out of the ignition. It wouldn't budge. I tried all of the tricks and it still wouldn't come out. In desperation, we call the professor. He offers some extra tricks and we tried them all. It didn't work. We call again and explain our situation. My stomach growled. He went to find a ride to try it out himself. I headed in to get my much desired sandwich. During this time, two professors arrive and the owner of the vehicle went to work. I shoved in half of my sandwich. When he was unable to get the key out, we all headed back toward campus. Nikki and I sat in the backseat and marveled at the hilarity of the situation. However, our adventure was by no means complete. The ride back was just beginning. I have a strong hypothesis that the smarter that an individual is, the more quirky they are with less common sense. Our short drive back to campus brought this to light. Being literally approximately a mile from campus, the driving professor asked for directions to get back to campus. Adding to that, his driving skills put my seatbelt into good use. 

The car ended up having to be towed and the ignition entirely replaced. I felt absolutely horrible even though the professor stated that this he has had problems with it before. I will unfortunately never live it down as it is brought up almost daily. I now apparently owe him my life. So, if you don't see me for awhile...

No comments: